Fair open to the public; created to teach people strategies for better money management
IU Northwest will host Money Smart, a free financial fair aimed at teaching people strategies for better money management. In these uncertain and financially trying times, sound money management and advance financial planning are crucial. Money Smart offers people of all ages and income levels sound strategies and advice for stretching their dollars further, avoiding scams and pitfalls, and investing in a more secure financial future.
The free fair at IU Northwest will be held from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. and will include breakout sessions, breakfast on-the-go and a box lunch. A door prize will be awarded at each workshop, and seminars will cover valuable and timely information. A foreclosure workshop and counseling sessions will also take place on campus in the Library Conference Center between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The IU Northwest event is one of more than 200 free classes, seminars and activities promoting financial education that will take place during Money Smart Week® scheduled Oct. 16 – 23, 2010.
Saturday, Oct. 23 from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Gary, IN 46408
Breakout sessions take place in various campus locations. For a full list of events, locations and times, please see: http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_assets/others/education/msw/in/money_fair.pdf
Interview AND PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES:
There will be several interview and photo opportunities available with the breakout presenters, as well as with the general public.
Informative breakout sessions geared to every financial age at IU Northwest’s Money Smart Fair, include:
- Money Matters: Explore techniques to identify ways to decrease expenses or increase income.
- Your Credit Card Can Work For You: Learn how to choose a card that meets your needs.
- Free Financial Counseling for a Day: Focus on building credit, the importance of a good credit score, and how to repair credit in order to purchase a home or car.
- It’s my Money; I’ve Earned It! Teens and Taxes (ages 14 -18): Explore the concept of memorizing a Social Security number and completing a W-4 Form.
- Financial Wizardy (Children welcome): Award-wining magician and educator to highlight basic financial concepts through magic. Children in attendance will receive a ticket for a free face painting.