This Year’s Event Particularly Important in Dire Economy
Northwest Indiana 2-17-2011 – Free Tax Preparation is now in progress and many people in Northwest Indiana have been taking advantage of the great service that we offer. Our volunteers in the Northwest Indiana A$$ET Building Campaign are gathering in the locations to serve the NWI area. The public is invited to have their personal taxes prepared for free. IRS Certified Volunteer tax preparers will be on hand to file federal and state taxes at our Super Saturday sites from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the locations and dates below:
- NW IN A$$et Building Campaign, 3637 Grant St., Suite 100 in Gary on February 19, 26 and March 12
- Pennsylvania Center, 3550 Pennsylvania Ave. in East Chicago on March 5
- Bessie Owens Center, 4001 Alexander Ave. in East Chicago on March 19
- Greater Hammond Community Service, 824 Hoffman Ave. in Hammond on March 26
- Martin Luther King Jr. Center, 4802 Melville Ave. in East Chicago on April 2
- Ivy Tech College, 410 E. Columbus Dr. in East Chicago on April 9
Last year’s tax filing season closed with more than 1,100 tax returns filed by NWICA staff and coalition volunteers. This season has the potential to serve an even greater number of individuals and families.
NWI A$$et Building Campaign’s dedication to improving the financial health of the area’s working poor is evidenced by the announcement of the 2010 Free Income Tax Preparation Schedule at area Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites.
Walk-in free tax preparation will also be offered Wednesdays from noon to 7 p.m. at Northwest Indiana A$$et Building Campaign, 3637 Grant St. in Gary on February 9 and 23; March 9 and 23 and April 6.
Appointments can be made for weekdays by calling:
- Indiana University Northwest, 3400 Broadway, Gary at 219-980-6552
- NWI A$$et Building Campaign, 3637 Grant St., Suite 100 in Gary at 219-980-2093
- YWCA of Gary, 150 West 15th Ave. in Gary at 219-881-9922
- DuBois Public Library, 1835 Broadway in Gary at 219-886-9120
- Wildermuth Public Library, 501 S. Lake St. in Gary at 219-938-3941
- Greater Hammond Community Services, 924 Hoffman Ave. in Hammond at 219-932-4800
- Pennsylvania Center We Care from the Heart, 3550 Pennsylvania Avenue in East Chicago at 219-391-8480
- United Way of Porter County, 951 Eastport Centre Dr. in Valparaiso at 219-464-3583. (They also have some Saturday hours available.)
Individuals who earned less than $48,362 in 2010 may be eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which is the largest social support program in the country. Every year approximately $60 million flows into northern Lake and Porter counties from EITC; 20-25% of those eligible do not claim it.
To take advantage of the free tax preparation services, taxpayers must bring:
1. Social security cards for the taxpayer, spouse, children and other dependents
2. Proof of bank account for direct deposit (routing and account numbers)
3. Amount of 2008 payments for student loan interest, childcare expenses and college tuition
4. All W-2 and 1099 statements
5. Amount of Indiana rent and landlord address or property taxes paid
6. Advance child tax credit notification letter (if applicable)
7. Photo ID
For additional information, call 211 or the Northwest Indiana A$$et Building Campaign at 219-980-2093. You can also see more information by visiting our website by clicking the image below.